Friday, October 14, 2011

"...then feed them"

Earlier in the week I was talking to an older Russian man that I usually talk to. He & his family live in our building as well as many other Russians. I told my Russian friend that I would be making холубтси (in Ukrainian) which are in my opinion totally different from голубтзи Russian Cabbage rolls. I told him that if I made some I would give him some. He was taken back & at 1st didn't believe i was serious. But when I told him I was, he shockingly said "Спасибо" (thank-you.)

Yesterday was the day. While I was homeschooling Esme started sauteing the onions & garlic, mixing the ground beef, & boiling the head of cabbage. Our Mongolian home helper always gets excited when I make холубтси (holubtsi) & Esme likes watching me too. 3 hours later & 40 холубтси later I was ready to place them in the oven for 2 hours. I them put my 2nd roaster in the oven to cook for another 2 hours.

When both roasters were both finished I took 6 large холубтси wrapped them in foil & went to my Russian friends apartment. They were not home so I made all of my Mongolian friends so happy & gave them each a large холубтси. They usually are so happy when I make Українська (Ukrainian) food. Finally I went back to my Russian friends apartment door. He was not home, but told his wife that I promised her husband these cabbage rolls & here they were still hot. The biggest smile came over her face that I had never seen before in the 3 yrs living here. It was as if she was a little girl that had been given a special gift, that kind of a smile. I usually never see her smiling.

Words do not need to be spoken because in a smile so many things are communicated that words cannot describe. "...feed my sheep."

Deep down yesterday was such a powerful day. All I used was my heart, my hands & my smile.